We have worked in Mozambique since 1988, partnering with local organisations and the Government to improve older people's access to healthcare, social and financial security and protect them from injustice and abuse.
We work to facilitate access to health services for older people, reduce the impact of HIV and AIDS, ensure secure income for older people, promote the rights of older people and ensure older people's needs are met in emergency relief efforts.
We work with 15 local partners and 148 community-based committees in nine provinces across Mozambique. We have supported 33,000 older people and their family members through our community-based work and have helped 32,000 more through our emergencies and recovery programmes.
Supporting older people in Mozambique
- As a result of our influence, the Government has passed a new law on the promotion and protection of older people's rights.
- We have supported older people to monitor the delivery of the Government cash transfer they receive.
- We have worked with older people to ensure they have access to better healthcare by training relevant medical professionals, developing an age-friendly training curriculum with the Ministry of Health and lobbying for the expansion of eye care services.
- We will lobby the government regarding a universal pension for older people.
- We will monitor the implementation of the new law on the promotion and protection of older people's rights.
- We will support a new UN convention on older people's rights.
- We will support the development of a network of organisations working with older people across Mozambique.
Serena from Mozambique was accused of witchcraft. Watch her story:
Associaçaó dos Aposentados de Moçambique (Mozambican Pensioners Association APOSEMO), Humanitarian Association for Support to Older People (VUKOXA)
Tearfund, Save The Children, Red Cross Mozambique (CVM), Mozambican Association for Support to Older People (AMAI), Pro-Idoso, Hipfuneni INSS Pensioners association, Association "Pfuna Swisiwana" (APS), Action for Community Development (ASADEC), Christian Council of Mozambique (CCM), Teia National Forum of Mozambican NGOs, National Forum of Older People (FTI), Plataforma de Protecção Social em Mocambique (PSCM-PS), ACIDECO, ASADEC, APITE, Kubatsirana, FAMOD, AAVEDOS, Associação Moçambicana para Desenvolvimento da Família (AMODEFA), TINHENA.
Irish Aid, Royal Netherlands Embassy, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), United Nation Children's Fund (UNICEF), Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), Egmont Trust, World Food Programme (WFP), HelpAge Germany, Civil Society Support Mechanism (MASC), Mercury Pheonix Trust, European Comission, DFID.