Photo: HelpAge International.
We are accountable to our donors, partners and the public worldwide. Above all, we are accountable to the older men and women with and for whom we work.
To ensure our accountability we:
- arrange external evaluations of our high value contracts (almost all our contracts above £250,000 in value are externally evaluated)
- share and review the learning from our work in many different ways (bringing our partners and affiliates and those we work with together to discuss key issues)
- share our annual plans starting 2011-2012. We will measure and document our performance against our plans and strategy every year through our annual report.
We review and document our performance against one specific global action or set of targets each year. So far, our Global Review on Social Protection (GRASP) reflects on HelpAge's strategy to address this theme, and provides a measure of the value for money of our work on social pensions over the last five years
We are piloting ways to increase our accountability at project level, particularly in our humanitarian work. We are doing this in Haiti right now.
Improving our accountability
We are always seeking to improve our accountability, so we are developing an accountability framework which will contain a set of commitments. We are now members of the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
We are also committed to following the People In Aid - Code of Good Practice. This is an internationally recognised management framework, which enables us to enhance the quality of our human resources management. We are working towards achieving our first Quality Mark.
Sida Evaluation Report and Management Response, December 2018
In 2018, HelpAge commissioned an independent evaluation of our strategic partnership with Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). This aimed to assess progress against our 2015-18 funding agreement with Sida, to test the relevance, effectiveness and sustainability of our strategy implementation model for delivering on our 2020 strategic goals, and to provide recommendations towards HelpAge’s strategy beyond 2020.
Executive smmary of Sida Evaluation Report (775kb)-
November 2018 (a copy of the full evaluation report is available upon request via email@example.com)
- HelpAge Management Response to Sida Recommendations (222kb)- December 2018
Other evaluations with a global focus:
- DFID PPA Independent progress review (4mb), executive summary (19kb) and HelpAge management response (73kb).
- DFID PPA annual review (1.2mb), HelpAge management response (130kb).
- Age Demands Action external assessment (70kb), Impact of Age Demands Action (1mb), ADA Executive summary (25kb).
- Evaluation of HelpAge International ECHO-Funded project(97.5kb)
- Linking lives - creating solidarity with older people in developing countries (1077kb)
- HelpAge network review (356kb)
- Accountability and fulfilment for older people in order to raise their dignity (139 kb mid-term) and final evaluation (2550Kb)
Evaluation with a regional focus include:
Sub-Saharan Africa (1.73mb) Strengthening Social Protection to Protect and Mitigate the impact of HIV and AIDS and Poverty.
Sub-Saharan Africa (2.5mb) Preventing HIV and AIDS and Alleviating it's Impact in Multi-generational Households.
South East Asia (1.4Mb) Strengthening the CSO Network on Ageing as a Development Partner.
The following evaluations assessed the effectiveness and impact of:
- Humanitarian responses in Lebanon and Jordan and our management response, Kenya (1mb) and Ethiopia (400kb), Kenya (1168kb), Sudan (895kb), Pakistan (1.1mb), Haiti (1.7mb)
- Livelihoods programmes in Bangladesh (977kb), India (3mb) and its mid term report (237kb), Pakistan (2.5mb), Myanmar (1mb), Mozambique (275kb) (also available in Portuguese (1mb)) and Tanzania (650kb), Uganda (1.93MB), Myanmar (442kb), DRC (685kb), Sudan (2.1mb), Uganda, DRC and Bangladesh (2.3mb), Gaza (109kb), OPT (1.09mb)
- Social Protection in Mozambique (705kb, Portuguese)
- Health in Cambodia (153kb), Kenya (944kb), Mozambique (1136 kb, portuguese), Kyrgystan (838kb), OPT (1.09mb), Moldova (125kb), Sudan (287kb), Burkina Faso (61.7kb), Tanzania (1.4mb), Bolivia, Columbia and Peru (216kb), Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe (1.4mb), Mozambique (29kb), Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and Tanzania (707kb)
- Older Person Abuse in Moldova (174 kb)
- Older People's Groups in Tanzania (636kb), China (676kb), Sudan (4MB), India (1.7mb), India (1.2mb), Cambodia (2.3mb), Cambodia (2.2), Bangladesh (141.4kb), Vietnam (1.2mb), Myanmar (90Kb)