Scope of Work
We are looking to recruit short term specialists in disability inclusion programming. We expect projects to last about 3-6 months. Tasks may include:
- Providing technical assistance to HelpAge International offices, network members, partners and ‘clients’ programme activities to ensure inclusion of older people with disabilities, considering the potential for organisational change and inclusive programme development.
- Supporting the development of a case management approach, that includes documenting work/activities in a care plan and setting up effective referral mechanisms or pathways to other service providers.
- Data analysis and collection on age, gender and disability (using Washington Group questions).
- Promote inclusive approaches to ensure full and active participation of older people with disability.
- Have a working knowledge of social and community psychosocial and rehabilitation approaches to assist in building up community and home-based care support
- Have a working knowledge of assistive products for older people including older people with disability.
- Inclusion advocacy.
- Technical disability response, e.g. physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and support for carers.
- Generate quality evidence on the needs and capacities of older people with disabilities, for use in research and programme work.
- Providing MEAL for HelpAge, network members, partner organisations, and clients’ disability inclusion projects.
Essential/Core competencies for the consultancy assignment
- Experience and in-depth understanding of design and implementation of disability-inclusive programming, including its intersections with ageing and gender (at least 5 years).
- Proven ability to collect, analyse, conceptualise data on age, gender and disability (using Washington Group questions, to inform reporting and produce high quality written reports.
- Experience in programme management and/or providing technical support to programme teams and/or partners.
- Ability to build relationships and work cross-organisationally and within networks.
- A commitment towards the following; working to our values, equal opportunities, respect and dignity, health and safety and data protection.
- Experience working on policy and/or practice related to disability issues in older age, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
- Experience in working collaboratively with partner organisations
- Previous experience with DFID programmes.
- Fluency in Arabic, French is an advantage.
- HEAT training completed and up to date.
What is included for successful candidate:
- Flights to consultancy posting, inclusive of airport transfers.
- Per diem subsistence daily rate for duration of consultancy (overseas only).
You are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EoI) for conducting this assignment to HelpAge-HR@helpage.org with the subject line: Disability Consultants Roster.
The EoI should include:
- A cover letter outlining how your experience and competences meet the requirements.
- A CV outlining relevant experience.
- Your expected daily rate.
- 3 referees including current or most recent employer.
- DBS certificate or national equivalent.
- Please outline your availability over the next 6 months.
We anticipate the work will take between 3-6 months.
The exact number of days can be discussed and agreed.
Closing date for applications: On-going
Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications early, as these will be reviewed regularly.
At HelpAge International we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear shared purpose. Our values inform how we work together:
We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality.
We value and recognise the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the centre of everything we do.
We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions.
Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviours that demonstrate and support them.
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Please ensure that you remove your date of birth, gender and marital status from your CV.