Scope of Work
We are looking to recruit short-term specialists in social protection. Projects are expected to last 3-6 months. Tasks may include:
· Providing technical assistance and advice to HelpAge International offices, network members, partners and governments on the development of rights-based, inclusive and accountable social protection schemes and systems.
· Leading mixed-method research initiatives and technical studies, including on the following topics: assessing the wellbeing, livelihoods and income security of older people, evaluating the adequacy, effectiveness and impact of existing social protection schemes and systems; assessing the feasibility of expanding pension coverage (especially social pensions); developing advocacy materials on income security of older people, social protection and pensions for a diverse range of audiences.
· Providing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning support for HelpAge, network members, partner organisations, and clients’ social protection projects.
• Experience working in the field of social protection, including significant engagement at country or regional levels and significant technical experience in social protection policy research (5 years minimum).
• A strong understanding of issues relating to poverty, vulnerability and inequality, that inform the design of social protection systems – including ageing, gender, disability (and other relevant factors) as they apply to social protection in low- and middle-income countries.
• Excellent team working skills, including the ability to work in a multi-cultural context and bring diverse perspectives together.
• Experience of research and writing, and editing including papers for presentation, advocacy documents and reports.
• Experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods.
• Experience in programme management within an international development context.
• Fluency in English.
- Experience of working on policy and/or practice related to social protection issues in older age, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
- Experience in working collaboratively with partner organisations.
- Previous experience of working on DFID programmes.
- Fluency in Arabic and French is an advantage.
- HEAT training completed and up to date.
What is included for successful candidate:
- Flights to consultancy posting, inclusive of airport transfers.
- Per diem subsistence daily rate for duration of consultancy in addition to fee rate (overseas only).
You are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EoI) for conducting this assignment to HelpAge-HR@helpage.org with the subject line: Social Protection Consultants Roster.
The EoI should include:
- A cover letter outlining how your experience and competences meet the requirements.
- A CV outlining relevant experience.
- Your expected daily rate.
- 3 referees including current or most recent employer.
- DBS (Digital Baring Service) certificate or national equivalent.
- Please outline your availability over the next 6 months.
We anticipate the work will take between 3-6 months.
The exact number of days can be discussed and agreed.
Closing date for applications: On-going
Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications early, as these will be reviewed regularly.
At HelpAge International we work hard to achieve our goals together as a team with a clear shared purpose. Our values inform how we work together:
We respect people, value diversity and are committed to equality.
We value and recognise the contribution of our staff and network members, as we put older people at the centre of everything we do.
We work alongside network members and others to increase reach, influence and impact. We are committed to a culture of collaboration and building positive relationships.
We are passionate about learning, accountable and work together to find creative solutions.
Everyone who works at HelpAge share our values and are committed to behaviours that demonstrate and support them.
Everyone has a role in creating and sustaining a safe and respectful working environment, where no one comes to any harm or is maltreated. At HelpAge we take our responsibilities very seriously and will take action against wrongdoing. We will do everything we can to ensure that we do not engage people that pose a safeguarding risk and will undertake criminal record checks as required.
HelpAge International is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities and respecting diversity in employment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. We encourage and facilitate a flexible working environment.
Please ensure that you remove your date of birth, gender and marital status from your CV.